I have some questions I have been thinking about for quite sometime and thought I would just lay it out for you guys.
Sin is sin to God right!?.... meaning that all sin is equal in his eyes and that none is worse than any other. In the world we live in there are certain sins that seem worse to us. You know the big ones such as homosexuality and the molestation of children murder and rape. These for some reason in our minds our ingrained as worse than others. Stay with me, please. As believers we are being conformed to the image of God and we have to strive to be like Him even it that means seeing things through His eyes. Now if you are still with me I applaud you.
Suppose a pastor is preaching to his congregation about sin. He says that he is a sinner and that he is just as dirty as the next one. He says that he sins daily and b/c he says this you realize that he is speaking the truth b/c we all sin and fall everyday.
How is that preacher any different from a preacher that maybe struggle with homosexual acts but is truly sorry and has a heart that repents and ask God to forgive him. How are these different? Should they both receive the same treatment from the congregation? Is the sin not the same in Gods eyes? Are we truly a people ready to forgive regardless the offense?
These are tough question but I want to hear what you think. I realize this is dangerous and I am not trying to offend anyone but I am just asking how would you approach these questions. more to come......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
i think the consequences of one are greater then the other... know what im sayin? the sin is the sin is the sin is the sin... but how it effects people is different. the pastor breaks his fast and has a fry.... or the pastor sleeps with a man... hmm...
I think it all comes down on the structure of the church. I mean if you have a pastor who has no one in which he could confide his "dirty" secrets to, and he is consistently having to minister to people because we've given him the title of "pastor" then when that man falls despite of what, he falls harder than lets say a pastor who struggles with the same sin, but has a group of mentors who aren't afraid, or as Landon said "gross"ed out by his sin. But also if the church would realize that it's there to minister to people and not just a place to be ministered to then the pastor of this church won't face the same punishment or ostrecization as the other.
I guess what it comes down to is how much we glorify and depend on our pastors. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out that they're human and they sin like us, or is their MDIV or Doctorate of Theology blinding us to much to realize that they hurt just as we do?
The Church should be ready to forgive, but not only that but to reconcile, and that my friend is the one thing christians hate to do because it brings about bad impressions from outsiders, hmmm we like to shoot our wounded when we could so easily bandage them.
Becky-
Should the level of consequence be different? I see what you are saying but should one have more wieght just b/c it hurts people more? Thanks for your comments! hope you are doing well.
hmm... I definitly agree with Korey.
As far as my own opinion, I want so badly to say that a sin is a sin and I would be able to view them as such, especially when a pastor is questioned.
But this is truly honest, and I am quite embarrassed by it. I don't know if, put in the situation, I would act as Christ would. I would probably think of a homosexual pastor as "less than". But why? I sadly don't know.
I do howver hope that one day, I will be able to look at people the way Christ does...and realize that a sin is a sin is a sin...
When will the Berry-man reflect again?
Post a Comment